Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scupper discharge

Scupper discharge 7 months 3 weeks ago #2708

As a new Whitby owner ,42 foot Ketch ,Boat number 2 1 1, I'm trying to learn my way around the boat and I've come to the scuppers. they're both plugged, port and starboard . Where do they drain. I'm assuming ( never assume) that there is a through hull. But where?. Any advice on cleaning them out , Drano , a snake, something else. The boat has been sitting for 3 or 4 years so whatever has accumulate there has been sitting and dried hard. I can get about 10 feet into the Scupper with a snake but then run into a block .
thanks for any help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scupper discharge 7 months 3 weeks ago #2709

• ConejoGrande
  • Joie de Vivre - #88
  • Thank you received: 11
Variations from the factories and modifications by previous owners aside... here's how I think the scuppers were typically done originally:

Starboard side scupper was routed to a thruhull just below the water line, just aft of the nav station in the cabinet behind the nav seat, under the bench in the walk through.

Port side scupper was routed into the engine room where it joined with the drain for the port side cockpit floor. From there it went to a thruhull under the floor of the aft head.

Only way to know for sure is to follow the hoses. On JdV the starboard side was moved to a thruhull above the waterline in the hanging cabinet in the aft cabin. It also has a Y-valve in it for collecting rain water from the deck to the water tanks.

HTH,
Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjasko

Scupper discharge 7 months 3 weeks ago #2710

Thanks Scott I have located the port side valve that you referred to under the head they and I'll go look for the Starbboard.side discharge later today. I'll let you know if that's where mine are but I suspect you're right I still have a problem however clearing those lines out. Also turns out that all thru hulls are frozen and I've been given some advice on how to lubricate those but even if I do I still haven't cleared the lines of whatever's clogging them .
appreciate help
Mike jaskwhich

Scupper discharge 7 months 3 weeks ago #2711

• ConejoGrande
  • Joie de Vivre - #88
  • Thank you received: 11
Assume you confimed the thruhull is open?

Chemicals would be hard on the hoses. Better to stick with a snake or removing the hoses and clearing or replacing them. Water from a hose can help too.

Much of those hoses is below the waterline so weak or damaged hoses can sink the boat. If there is any doubt, consider replacing them.

Scupper discharge 7 months 3 weeks ago #2712

• Msmolek
  • Thank you received: 4
The starboard seacock is smaller than the port and has a tendency to drain slowly and to clog easily. This is one reason the starboard scupper drain is often modified to drain above the water line. My port seacock is under the workbench in the walkthrough. There are some good articles out there on servicing the bronze seacocks. Here is one in Practical Sailor. www.practical-sailor.com/news/Seacock-Ma...cedures-10447-1.html

Scupper discharge 7 months 1 week ago #2718

• davidirwin
  • Thank you received: 4
My starboard side drainage improved big time by changing the original 1-1/4" WC sea-cock with it 2/90 deg. pipe fitting on to of that to a 1-1/2" Spartan sea-cock with a large sweeping 90" female thread to hose adapter on top of it. Then ran new 1-1/2 hose all the way back to the deck drain. The smaller old seacock and 90 deg fittings made it impossible to snake thru from above or below and mussels love it up in there. Now in season I go up from below with a few strokes of a long bottle brush from the hardware store and it keeps the critter life at bay.

Good luck
Dave Irwin
S/V Comfort
Boston
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds