Area outboard of Nav Station seat

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #3541 by Brad Luellen
Area outboard of Nav Station seat was created by Brad Luellen
Attached is a photo of the area at the base of  the Nav Station and seat.

There is a small platform and an angled portion adjacent to the cabin sole, and it appears to attach to the hull at the top. 

Does anyone know what is in or behind this??  Is it safe to remove so that I can extend the cabin sole out to the edge adjacent to the hull??  I am going to remove the Nav Station, and put cabinetry there as I have seen in other Brewer 44s.  The bottom "ledge"/platform is about 3.5" tall, and 11" deep to the angled portion...with the angled portion being 6.5" until it meets (?) the hull.

I'd like to remove all of this to create a flat cabin sole in this area.  Is there anything under/behind this that I should know or worry about, or can I just cut it out and install the flooring?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Brad
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Brad Luellen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3542 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Area outboard of Nav Station seat
The outer hull curves under the sole there. I doubt you could gain much flat floor space by removing that step. The step was designed that way originally to give a flat area to rest your right foot while sitting at the nav station. There could be wiring running through that area also so be careful if you decide to cut into it.

Scott

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3543 by Mark Lewin
Replied by Mark Lewin on topic Area outboard of Nav Station seat
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=ec839bef92&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r-9179654023559469149&th=17bbfdc69e9ac614&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-b1qcmff7W-iayGQLR8F6bLmJnZG5xyYfVnFa76SeBjYTTXaP4WZ2vRfUkUOnt_eiq7M4YB4i2y1Rfz0twno1aag-hZZBGgxsJtV99XfBgEJLJ5jasY2Gg4eA&disp=emb&realattid=ii_kt9xufbq2
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=ec839bef92&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-9179654023559469149&th=17bbfdc69e9ac614&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-AhTsrxEwi_zSNMuNw3WZw6bapQcuy5RYcEK5ZMBuWLZH4qM80n8hEJ8TqUMU45lcALtZPtpwKsjQ2K89L1lFnKycXrYT8xfxQ_-mnP1-BkxiNfnqcTTDJfPM&disp=emb&realattid=ii_kt9xufbw3https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=ec839bef92&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-a:r-9179654023559469149&th=17bbfdc69e9ac614&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-QQzlv5dqGExo466aBLiZW_PNxDFSYhJhWEIak8tIyELSe0ZL1TdSHPuIYcB0mpgU_q_oWLd6oqKPqiLwpz7YZJMG0sLI29Zj9yzwtsvVsClASiuPV4ah-_9k&disp=emb&realattid=ii_kt9xwli66
Hi Brad,

I also removed the nav station as well as the bench and cabinetry on the starboard side (See attached). I'm rebuilding new cabinets with a battery storage area and a smaller nav station up in the corner at the forward bulkhead.  I removed a portion of the hump that you are asking about and there was nothing under the section that I removed. I didn't go as far as you are talking about. I am going to square off that area and make a platform for a DC stand-up refrigerator and pantry. I am putting in all new decking that will cover up the portion that I removed.  Maybe you can remove what I did and shine a light underneath to see what is under there.  Any questions, feel free to call or email me directly.  I'm located in Florida.

Kindest Regards,
MarkMark Lewin - Notary(321) 482-3087 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3544 by Mark Lewin
Replied by Mark Lewin on topic Area outboard of Nav Station seat
Pictures attached
Attachments:

More
1 month 1 week ago #3545 by Kevin Hardin
Replied by Kevin Hardin on topic Area outboard of Nav Station seat
In my opinion I thought this "ledge" was a structural stiffener for the hull. Perhaps you could contact Ted Brewer via email and ask him. He kindly responded to one of my questions about a year ago via email. This is the email I have for him. brewer@island.net .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad Luellen

More
1 month 1 week ago #3546 by Brad Luellen
Replied by Brad Luellen on topic Area outboard of Nav Station seat

Scott Lee post=3542 wrote: The outer hull curves under the sole there. I doubt you could gain much flat floor space by removing that step. The step was designed that way originally to give a flat area to rest your right foot while sitting at the nav station. There could be wiring running through that area also so be careful if you decide to cut into it.

Scott

Well, I am not going to remove all of it...at least I don't think so.  I want enough room there to put a washer behind a cabinet door, and have it be as flush as possible with the edge of the existing cabinetry to the right of it.  I believe it I can remove the flat portion, and about 2-3" of the angle, I should be able to make it fit.  So, I think about 70% of it removed, with new flat glass at the bottom and back.

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds