Chain plate leaks

• Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
  • Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 months 1 day ago #3079 by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
Chain plate leaks was created by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
I’m having trouble with leaks from my chainplates on my Brewer 44. Has anyone found a good way to seal them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 day ago #3080 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Chain plate leaks
In the past I've used 3M 4000 UV with mostly good results. A couple chainplates have been problematic and had to be resealed a couple times.

We are reinstalling our chainplates this year so I'm interested to see other responses and experiences. One factor I am wondering about is escutcheons. We don't have them on JdV but I'm curious if they help with getting and keeping a good seal around the chainplates. Are they worth adding?

Scott

• Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
  • Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 months 1 day ago #3084 by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
Replied by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio on topic Chain plate leaks
I’ve got escutcheons on mine and they don’t seem to help. I also used 3M 4000.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #3107 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Chain plate leaks
I have tried several alternatives and the one that has worked the best is Butyl tape for caulking with home made fiberglass escutcheons. I rebedded Allegria's chainplates a couple of years ago and have had no leakage since.
Dee

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #3108 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Chain plate leaks
Dee,

I was hesitant to use butyl tape without escutcheons so I'm interested to hear more about your custom fiberglass design and build. I considered doing something like that as the stainless ones are pretty pricey. But I was concerned about the screw holes in the corners breaking out when screwed down to the deck. Dimensions? Thickness? Layup? Pictures?

Thanks!
Scott

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #3109 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Chain plate leaks
Hi Scott,
I made the escutcheons out of a fiberglass panel I got from MacMaster-Carr. I think the panel was one that was chemical resistant because it was the only one that came in white. It was 1/4 " thick and I cut them into 2x4" rectangles and then drilled and cut slots for the chainplates. I drilled and countersunk holes at the corners for screws to attach them to the deck. I made them around 5-6 years ago and tried silicone, and then polysulfide, and then butyl. They have held up well. The butyl has held up the best as far as the sealants, and I had no more leaks, even after some fairly vigorous sailing over the past few years.
I'm afraid I don't have any pictures, and now Allegria is off to other adventures so I can't get to her to take any.
Hope this helps.
Best,
Dee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Lee

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds