Hydrolic Steering

More
1 year 4 days ago #2941 by Vincent LoRusso
Hydrolic Steering was created by Vincent LoRusso
Recently I inspected all the copper tubes of the hydraulic steering system on my W/B 42. All appear to be original 1979 vintage and aside from dirt and a little green corrosion where the tube had been dripped on, they look good.
Has anyone lost steering because of a hydraulic leak in their hydraulic system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #2942 by Mark Popiel
Replied by Mark Popiel on topic Hydrolic Steering
The hydraulic pump at the helm had a leak at the shaft which was easily repaired by a shop in Florida, but they reassembled it backwards. I discovered this defect when i left the dock and turning the wheel right made us go left. I crossed the large hydraulic lines in the engine room for a quick solution. I'd like to hear about anyone's experience rebuilding the cylinder at the rudder.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #2943 by Vincent LoRusso
Replied by Vincent LoRusso on topic Hydrolic Steering
Nothing worse than a dyslexic mechanic!

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #2944 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Hydrolic Steering
We may have used the same mechanic in Florida. When we got it back it turned backwards just as you describe. I did the same - switched the lines on the ram, and then switched the leads on the autopilot pump.

Three weeks later, and a couple hundred miles away, the new seal he installed blew out with oil all over the cockpit floor. This time I took it to a certified hynautic repair guy in Riviera Beach. He reassembled it correctly and replaced the seal with the correct one. So far, so good. Still trying to track down a very small leak somewhere in the system.

We also had the original guy redo the steering ram. So far, so good on that one.

We never lost steering. For a helm pump leak you can lower the pressure to about 5lbs... enough to push fluid up to the helm but not enough to push it out the seal.

Our hydraulic lines were replaced by a PO with flexible, non copper lines. Only a few short pieces of copper remain inside the binnacle.

Scott

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds