Mysterious valves on steering column

More
1 year 5 months ago #2887 by Robert Horn
Mysterious valves on steering column was created by Robert Horn
'75 Whitby 42. There is on each side of the steering column what at first appeared to a switch with a badly corroded knob. While doing some wiring in there I realized that they were valves plumbed into the steering hydraulics. There is a small tag above the valve which says ON and another one to the right which says OFF.

Any thoughts what they do? I'm afraid I might have turned one of them so not sure what to expect. I'll check the manual when I get home but don't recall seeing anything like that last time I went through the manual.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #2888 by Steven Lott
Replied by Steven Lott on topic Mysterious valves on steering column
These connect the helm feedback to the wheel. When closed, the autopilot has control and there’s no feedback to the wheel. When open, you’ll get a small sense of rudder pressure. And when the autopilot is steering — watch out. The when will move with considerable force.

More
1 year 5 months ago #2889 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Mysterious valves on steering column
Primarily those valves allow the autopilot to function. The valves must be in the "on" position when the autopilot is engaged. If they are not, the autopilot will cause the wheel to spin and have no affect on the rudder.

When not using the autopilot the valves can be in either position. In the "off" position you'll get more feedback from the rudder to the wheel. We always leave ours "on".

Note that both valves should be turned to the same setting at all times. You would never have one "on" and one "off".

I added labeling to ours when we first bought the boat to better describe the function and so I remembered which way they should be set:

Scott
Joie de Vivre
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #2890 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Mysterious valves on steering column
I should add too that "on" and "off" in my description are relative to how my valves are installed and labelled. It may be reversed for you.

More
1 year 5 months ago #2891 by Robert Horn
Replied by Robert Horn on topic Mysterious valves on steering column
Just looked through the Owners Manual. None of the piping diagrams show those valves. We just got rid of a twin engine trawler with two helms. Nothing special was required when running the autopilot. Autopilot did not turn either wheel although they were free to turn manually and confuse the autopilot.

ConejoGrande, like that valve handle. Ours must have been the potmetal type, totally corroded down to the nub.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Bob

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds