Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering

More
1 year 8 months ago #2822 by Robert Horn
Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering was created by Robert Horn
Does anyone know if the Whitby steering is pressurized? New to us boat has a canister with a pressure gauge and air fitting on it. Not sure yet if it is connected to the steering hydraulics.
Thanks,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #2824 by David Groves
Replied by David Groves on topic Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering
Shamal (W42 #321 1985 ) has hydraulic steering and is pressurized via the tank in the port locker. Doug Stephenson indicated that it was to remove air bubbles from the system. I fill it to 40 lbs although I think I have seen a lower pressure mentioned.
David

More
1 year 8 months ago #2825 by Robert Horn
Replied by Robert Horn on topic Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering
Thanks for the prompt reply. The boat is in FL and we are getting ready to move it to TX, hence, somewhat anxious. Do you add fluid at that tank?

Thanks,

Bob

More
1 year 8 months ago #2826 by David Groves
Replied by David Groves on topic Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering
Yes. The tank has small windows, and I think there is a fill line on the top one. There needs to be an air space. My bottle of fluid is labelled Bay Star, Sea Star and Hynautics (the brand of my steering system). Manufactured by Tele-Flex. I think they may have been taken over by someone else. I am pretty sure there is a good thread in our Whitby Brewer archives.
David
W42 #321 1985

More
1 year 8 months ago #2827 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering
Because the reservoir is below the helm pump pressure is added to push oil up to the helm pump.

If the system is currently not under pressure, I would check the fluid level, pressurize, check for leaks, bleed/purge the system of air, check the fluid level, and repressurize.

There is some info and documentation here regarding the hydraulic steering...
whitbybrewersailboats.com/maintenance-re...ms-and-bow-thrusters

Where are you in FL? We are in Port Charlotte, let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Scott

More
1 year 8 months ago #2828 by Patrick Thompson
Replied by Patrick Thompson on topic Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering
The manufacturer calls for 20lbs. of pressure but I find that 10 lbs. Is more than enuf.
The reservoir should be filled up to the top sight glass.
If the system needs to be bled for air you must relieve the spring pressure back at the steering ram before performing the procedure.
This is all outlined in the owners manual.

More
1 year 8 months ago #2831 by Robert Horn
Replied by Robert Horn on topic Whitby 42 Hydraulic steering
Thanks, working on it. Look in the manual, it's a '75 so good luck with the manual. Serial # 74, used to be Free N Easy.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds