Replacement heads.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2441 by greg marsh
Replacement heads. was created by greg marsh
I would appreciate any advice on newer, bolt on replacements for our 1976 forward and aft heads, please?
Thanks,

GM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #2442 by Edward Schwiebert
Replied by Edward Schwiebert on topic Replacement heads.
We replaced ours with Raritan macerating heads (to avoid or reduce the incidence of blockage in joker valves, etc.). They have a small footprint and work well. We would have looked at composting heads if they had smaller footprint, but too big for our B44.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Edward Schwiebert. Reason: Auto correct changed words

More
3 years 11 months ago #2443 by Edward Watson
Replied by Edward Watson on topic Replacement heads.
My New Hope still has the original W-C heads. They have been rebuilt several times over the years, but still work fine.
I made the switch to using fresh water in the heads. The heads work better and last longer (between rebuilds), and the smell of using salt water in the heads is gone, as is the calcium build-up in the hoses.
The rebuild kits are now $200, but it has been ten years since the last rebuild on the head most used.
I live aboard, in Marathon.
I have seen a lot of folks spend a lot of money and aggravation, trying to re-invent things that work already.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2444 by greg marsh
Replied by greg marsh on topic Replacement heads.
Thank you, where can I get the kits? Is this for a Whitby or Brewer 44?

More
3 years 11 months ago #2445 by Michael Collins
Replied by Michael Collins on topic Replacement heads.
We replaced our forward head with an Airhead composting one. We have a B44 and it's perfect. Wouldn't trade it! Thinking of putting one in our 5th wheel.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2446 by Edward Watson
Gerry would know for sure, but I think you can still get rebuild kits from WasteMarine.

It takes a bit to rebuild them, hone the pump tube etc, but they are a thing of beauty and will last 100 years with some care.

I use a mix of Never-seize and grease. No old boat should be without Never-seize.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2447 by greg marsh
Thanks very much for the suggestions, these heads are the original Whitby 42 units, not sure what the manufacture is, anyone?
Is there a pun here 'Waste" (West) Marine ??

Cheers.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2448 by Edward Watson
I think that the standard head on Canadian Whitbys was the Wilcox-Crittenden Junior #51. It does not look like you can buy a new one anymore. I priced new ones about ten years ago and they were $1400.+
Rebuilding them looks cheap at those prices.

Part kits are available at WasteMarine for $189.00 If you look you may find them cheaper on line.

Hooking fresh water to these old heads is sometimes tricky, you don't want a backflush. But the leather pump seals will last five times as long, and the lack of odor makes it worth the effort.

WasteMarine. Here in the Keys we do everything we can, NOT to buy from them because of their pricing. Our NAPA in Marathon can get most all the same parts for less money. But for a lot of folks, WasteMarine is all they know.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2449 by greg marsh
Thanks very much for the help, Snoozer.

GM.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2453 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Replacement heads.
Ahhhh, the boat head conversation. $500+ dollars to move a turd 3 feet.

The price for a replacement part kit for the W/C head is nuts, regardless where you buy it. Eventually they will be discontinued (if have no insider knowledge) when sales volume drop low enough.

A simple replacement, even if I'm not a fan of its durability, is the ubiquitous JABSCO Twist’n’Lock Compact Head. Carry a full pump assembly as a replacement and a couple of joker valves and you are good to go.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds