Retaining the freezer

More
4 years 10 months ago #2276 by Robert Snelling
Retaining the freezer was created by Robert Snelling
A previous owner (not sure which; there have been a couple) removed the freezer plate and compressor; the outboard 'freezer-come-locker' is now only used for storage of dry goods. How many of the owners continue to use the freezer?

Also, have any of you increased the insulation in the refrigerator and freezer? If so, with what material?

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #2277 by Jack Dexter
Replied by Jack Dexter on topic Retaining the freezer
We use our freezer for several months every year in our 1984 Brewer 12.8. We replaced the refrigeration unit in 2013 but the cold plates are original.

The box itself seems to be well insulated. It was so deep though that I put insulation in the very bottom. The space wasn't reachable there anyway and that may help when we're in very warm water.

We have the supermarket pre-freeze our meet before we leave on a cruise and it keeps well for months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Snelling

More
4 years 10 months ago #2278 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Retaining the freezer
Several years ago our Grunnert versimatic gave up and we replaced it with a Frigiboat system with 2 danfoss compressors, one for fridge and one for freezer, keel coolers and pulled the holding plates.
I decided to add some insulation with 2 layers of r4 foam from Home Depot and coverd it with fiberglass paneling. In the freezer, I added a lot of foam to make the floor flat and decrease the depth.
It has worked out very well for us, so far.
Dee, Allegria 199

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #2279 by Frank Fitzpatrick
Replied by Frank Fitzpatrick on topic Retaining the freezer
Still use the freezer on Just Desserts. Replaced the original Grunnert equipment pallet and big cold plates with two separate SeaFrost systems. Also added 1" - 2" of insulation inside both boxes. Used 1" foil-sided household foam insulation cut to fit and held in with silvery metallic tape (also taped all edges to reduce moisture intrusion). Result works quite well - we usually run it on solar panels.
But still getting a lot of frost - we don't open the freezer even once a day, on average, but still have to defrost it every month (hair dryer). Know we need to do something with lid seals on both boxes, but suspect there must be other sources of moist air intrusion.
Overall, the freezer is a very worthwhile convenience for us.
Frank and Kate - Just Desserts #195
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Frank Fitzpatrick. Reason: include hull #

More
4 years 10 months ago #2280 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Retaining the freezer
We turned off our freezer several years ago and rarely miss it. We use the space for 'cool' storage (bread, chocolate, etc) because it gets a little cooling through the wall from the fridge. Not running the freezer has done wonders for our battery consumption.

I think it depends largely on 1) where you cruise and 2) your diet.

1) If you are cruising populated areas with easy access to grocery stores you don't need to stockpile in your own freezer.

2) We are omnivores but we made a conscious effort a couple years ago to strongly emphasize fresh fruits and vegetables in our diet. So we don't eat much meat on board. Meats were the primary food occupying our freezer. Lunch meats and bacon, etc. keep pretty well in the fridge and anything stored up against the cold plates and down low stays almost frozen.

We haven't addressed the insulation in the fridge yet but I do believe ours would greatly benefit from it.

Scott

More
4 years 10 months ago #2281 by RICHARD FREEMAN
Replied by RICHARD FREEMAN on topic Retaining the freezer
HELLO ALL,
5 YEARS AGO I REWORK THE FRIG SYSTEM ON "NOMAER".
OUT WITH THE OLD PLATES AND ORIGINAL MOTOR AND COMPRESSOR, TEC.
THEY WERE WORN OUT AND HARD TO FIND PARTS FOR.

RESEARCH LEAD ME TO MODERN 12V, AIR COOLED SYSTEMS.
I DECIDED TO INSTALL ONE EACH FOR THE FRIG AND FREEZER COMPARTMENTS.
I USE 2" HIGH QUALITY FREEZER FOAM THAT HAD FABRIC ON ONE SIDE THAT WOULD ACCEPT RESIN.
I PUT 4" OF NEW FOAM ON THE BOTTOM OF THE REFER AND ELIMINATED THE DRAIN HOLE WHICH LETS OUT ALOT OF COLD AIR.
IN THE FREEZER, I PUT 4" OF FOAM ON THE BOTTOM AND HULL SIDE; AND 2" ON THE FORE AND AFT SIDES.
THEN I APPLIED THIN GLASS CLOTH OVER THE INSIDE SURFACES AND MADE THE HOLES FOR THE REFER PIPING.
THEN I PAINTED THE INTERIOR WITH WEST A COUPLE OF TIMES AND FINISHED WITH AWLGRIP.
THE LIDS WERE REWORKED TO PROVIDE A VERY GOOD DOUBLE SEAL ON EACH.
I SHAPED THE EVAPORATOR PLATE FOR THE REFER INTO A RECTANGLE, MOUNTED IT ON A 1/4" ALUMINUM PLATE. THAT IS A FREEZER IN THE REFER.
I APPLIED THE EVAPORATOR PLATE FOR THE FREEZER TO THE WALLS TO WRAP THE WHOLE COMPARTMENT. WHITH FREEZER ON LOW, THE TOP SHELF CAN BE UNFROZEN WHILE THE BOTTOM GOODS ARE FROZEN. THE FREEZER CAN BE THE BACKUP FOR THE REFER.
THE TWO 12V, AIR COOLED SKIDS WERE PLACED IN THE COMPARTMENT UNDER THE GALLEY STOVE.
I DRILLED HOLES IN THE FLOOR UNDER THE BACK OF THE STOVE TO LET HOT AIR OUT AND PUT COMPUTER EXHAUST FANS OVER THE HOLES TO SUCK HOT AIR OUT OF THE CABINET BELOW THE SINK WHERE THE COMPRESSORS ARE WORKING. THEY HAVE NOT HAD AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM.
HEAVY WIRE WAS RUN TO THE COMPRESSORS.
I INSTALLED 4 MORE TROJAN 6 VOLT GOLF CART BATTERIES TO GIVE A TOTAL OF 8.
THAT IS ADEQUATE STORAGE SO THE REFER CAN RUN WITHOUT SUCKING BATTERY VOLTAGE DOWN SERIOUSLY.
400 WATTS OF SOLAR PANEL POWER RUNS MY WHOLE BOAT AND I NEVER RUN AN ENGINE FOR ELEC. POWER.
OF COURSE, NOMAER IS IN THE CARIBBEAN SO THAT MUST BE RECOGNIZED.

OVERALL, THE NEW REFER SYSTEM LIGHTENED THE MACHINERY LOAD BUT THE WEIGHT WAS REPLACE BY THE NEW BATTERIES. A GOOD TRADE.
ONE THRU HULL ELIMINATED FOR WATER INTAKE.
THE 12V SYSTEM WORKS WITHOUT SUPERVISION
IT WORKS ON LAND AND AT SEA.
SINCE EACH COMPARTMENT HAS ITS OWN COMPRESSOR ETC., THEY ARE REDUNDANT.
WHILE IN PORT I USUALLY ONLY RUN ONE OF THEM SAVING WEAR AND ELEC.

THE SYSTEM REALLY WORKS WELL AND HAS RELIEVED ME OF DAILY REFER DUTY!
ALL THE BEST
RICH FREEMAN

RICH

More
4 years 10 months ago #2284 by Edward Schwiebert
Replied by Edward Schwiebert on topic Retaining the freezer
After the first season on Gratitude, expecting the original freezer would go bust at the worst time and place, we replaced it with a single Frigiboat unit in the freezer with a spillover to the refrigerator section. We were told (by the folks at S.A.L.T. In Marathon) that the single unit might be marginal and it was. We added a second unit to the fridge. Lauren loves to cook, bake, and entertain on the boat so having the freezer is a definite "necessity" for us (remember, if Momma ain't happy...). We did not bolster the insulation but likely should. The seals around the top (especially of the freezer) should be replaced as we get a fair amount of condensation > ice. Because the evaporators are sheathed in stainless steel, we periodically (and carefully) scrape off the ice (primarily at the top, hinge side) and call it good. We used to actually defrost with hot water, but found it used a lot of water and then took a long time to return to freezer temp. We have the butcher cup, wrap (no styrofoam), and pre freeze our meats, which makes a huge difference when the freezer first is loaded. Still, our battery consumption requires we run the generator 1 hour a day -- larger solar panels would help there.

More
4 years 10 months ago #2286 by David Groves
Replied by David Groves on topic Retaining the freezer
Hi Dee and all,
Shamal has the same upgrade as you, dual Frigiboat (one with the fan option for on the hard) and keel coolers. Works well but about half of the energy budget. I assume the exterior insulation is in the engine room wall. Extensive motoring sure heats up that wall.
Have any installed a blower to cool the engine room while motoring?
Fair winds to all. David
Shamal. W42#3211985

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #2292 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Retaining the freezer
Good information in the previous posts. Not much to add except;

1. I managed to locate slightly stronger version of XPS than is normally available in Home Depot. Its the FOAMULARĀ® 250 Rigid Foam Insulation, 25psi.

2. I too went for the Frigoboat system, a K50-AEO-with Aeo control, a Keel cooler and a 200F flat plate evaporator.
Rob and Gretchen of Coastal Climate Control are the kind of suppliers that you love to deal with. You will find them at most boat shows.

Gerry
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Gerry O'Donoghue.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds