Throughhull replacement

More
10 years 8 months ago #258 by John Meskauskas
Throughhull replacement was created by John Meskauskas
Our 1972 boat, Laume II, has no less than 16 throughhulls buried in the hull surface. Each is probably a pipe nipple fiberglassed into the hull. Some are more thoroughly glassed than others. All are attached to bronze seacocks. Most of the seacocks have been replaced to ballcocks but there are at least 2 original tapered plug, round handle style.

The number and inaccessibility of these make me nervous. Some of the ballcocks have a bluish surface cast to them, which I understand to be a result of prior zinc problems.

I would appreciate any experiences about how to close off the old openings and the details of where you put the new, sea chest info. sizes used, how it all worked out...

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #262 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Re:Throughhull replacement
One thing that most sailors agree on is that secure, functioning sea cocks are not an optional extra on a boat.

Check out this part of my blog;

theincrediblehull.blogspot.com/search/label/Thru%20Hulls

This website is also and excellent resource;

www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls

If you haven't picked up a copy of Don Casey's books or visited this site now would be a good time to do so;

www.boatus.com/howto/howto_lib.htm

Take a few photos of the "ballcocks" and post them (e-mail them to me at whitby42 "at" gmail.com if you can't post) and I will try and comment further.
Have fun, none of this is brain surgery.

Regards

Gerry

More
10 years 8 months ago #269 by Dan Pedersen
Replied by Dan Pedersen on topic Re:Throughhull replacement
I am also currently reworking my through hulls on Akupara. In doing this I am planning to reduce the number significantly, currently I have 11. I plan to install a composting head in the forward bathroom, this will remove two through hulls, the raw water in and the outlet. For the sink drains, both heads and the galley, I plan to plumb them all together into a tank beneath the galley and then have a pump to discharge overboard above waterline, this will remove another three through hulls.

Long term, I plan to redo the deck drains and either create a drain at deck level or reroute the drain to an outlet just below the deck above waterline, this would remove one more through hull as one drain currently ties into the cockpit drain.

For all the remaining raw water intake needs, I will go with a "Sea Chest" arrangement, this will feed the rear head, galley sink, fridge compressor cooling and watermaker. I will leave the raw water engine cooling on its own inlet as I do not want to risk restricting this flow.

So this plan would reduce my through hulls by six. For the short term I will just be capping the exisiting through hulls, and then on the next haul out I will glass them in if all systems are working to my staisfaction.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds