Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking to get into a Brewer 44

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2859

Hi folks!!

Brand new to this forum, and I have a huge question.

I've looked all over the internet, and there really is limited (IMO) information about the Brewers.

I am looking at several as possible purchases, and would like an honest appraisal from those who own these.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for as far as known issues with these boats? I know the 42's have (or so I remember) have problems with the centerline fuel tank down in the keel. Is there/are there any such issues (or any of significance) with the Brewer 44s.

This is the first boat that I have been able to get my spouse to even remotely like as a liveaboard, and am looking to move forward.

Thanks in advance.

Brad
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2860

• elschwieb
  • Thank you received: 7
We tried responding before, so this may be a duplicate. We have a Brewer 44 (1988 hull #284) and we love this boat! She is solid, responsive, and a good sailor. We have had no issues of substance, other than the usual for an aging vessel. We understand there can be issues with wet core in the foredeck. We have replaced our “center” tank (under the refrigerator/freezer, not in the keel) and made some desired upgrades, but nothing we absolutely had to do. One thing we miss is having a good shower on board, but we are not full time liveaboards. Make sure to have a good survey, make the upgrades you want, and go sailing!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stinger

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2861

• GinoDelG
  • Thank you received: 5
Happy New Year, my wife and I have owned Andiamo, Brewer 44 hull 291, for the past five years and have been living aboard for the past 18 months. Its a great boat: beautiful, comfortable and sea worthy.
The biggest issue with them is finding a good one. There were only 30 built before the company went broke and some haven’t been maintained the way they deserve. No problem with the keel tank as they do not have one. Those were only on the Whitbys, which are an earlier iteration of the boat. Some have soft fore decks, if previous owners didn’t properly bed deck hardware, but this can be fixed. The biggest issue with ours was that the chainplates were corroded, but these were easily replaced.
If you can find one in good shape, get a good surveyor and buy it, you won’t be sorry.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stinger

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2862

• GinoDelG
  • Thank you received: 5
What did you have to do to replace your fuel tank and why did you think it necessary? Ours seems ok but I’d like to know for future reference.

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2864

1. Foredeck....possible wet core....got it

Thank you very much.

Was there a reason you changed the centerline tank?? Or just preventative??

The point with the shower was one my wife made. But thankfully for me, she was able to take that as a compromise. The ability to take a "seated" shower while heeled over was that compromise. We were also looking at Morgan 43/44/45....and the "tub" was the same way.

Thanks for the reply,

Brad
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Stinger.

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2865

2. Chainplates possibly corroded.....got it

You say that wasn't a difficult fix. So, it isn't a major tear out like on an Island Packet? Plates easily accessible??

Finding a good one is always a chore, especially of the ages of these boats. I am a "classics" kind of guy, and just can't find a new, "affordable" boat that I like. But I definitely agree that some haven't been taken care of. I can't believe what some people are calling "good" boats.

I will definitely be getting a good survey. I am a back up offer on one now, and the offer is contingent on a good survey and any possible survey allowance.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Brad

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2866

So far we have:

1. Possible wet core in foredeck due to improper bedding of deck hardware

2. Possible chain plate corrosion.

I appreciate all the help. Need to make this a list for surveyor.

Regards,

Brad

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2867

Hi,
We have a Brewer and have sailed her around the Caribbean for the last 10 years and she is a great liveaboard. Strong hull, easy to sail, roomy with great storage, powerful engine . We have a fixed keel 5 foot 2 and it works for us, one lest thing to go wrong.
Any other questions just ask
Mike and Sandy

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2868

Mike and Sandy,

Do you have anything to add as to pre-purchase "must checks"?? Did you find something in your initial survey that needed to be fixed, or have you seen something fail from poor maintenance or workmanship since you have owned the boat?

Regards,

Brad
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Stinger.

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 5 months 2 weeks ago #2869

• elschwieb
  • Thank you received: 7
The tank sprung a leak in the bottom, perhaps from electrolytic action caused by moisture between the tank and the decking substrate supporting it. The engine, generator, and part of the bulkhead between the engine room and beneath the galley was removed to enable cutting the old tank out and making sufficient “turning room” to get a new (slightly smaller) tank in its place. The new tank was coated and is supported by “rubber” pads that enable airspace beneath so (hopefully) the same issue will not recur. [As an aside, friends had a new Pacific Seacraft with the same issue — sawdust shavings from construction enabled water to wick up to the tank and “eat” a hole in the tank.]. The issue was not discovered in our survey (no real way to do). Other issues that were uncovered were relatively minor and easily taken care of. We replaced all chain plates in 2011 after discovering one had failed. Took some cutting of cabinetry, but do-able.

New Owner 1988 Brewer 44 2 months 21 hours ago #2917

Well, after many months of searching and waiting...I am finally a member of the club.

I am closed (in escrow) on a 1988 Brewer 44, #286, henceforth to be known as "Invictus".

I want to thank everyone for the information provided with my previous question.

Now, to get to upgrading.

Looking to get into a Brewer 44 1 month 1 week ago #2932

Check the deck around the mast as it enters the boat. We had an issue we had to correct with a new deck plate which gave us a good seal.
Mike
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds