Sludge in Fuel Tanks clogging filters Brewer12.8

More
6 years 5 months ago #1653 by George Myers
In bringing boat from Port Canaveral to Clearwater FL we encountered fuel stoppage after running engine with wind on nose and bouncy for 24 hours. Engine ran well for first 27 hours . It would be ok after changing filters for couple hours -then stop or just run slooow . Finally we pulled into Marathon Boatyard and are having them get fuel tanks cleaned and 'polished'. Does anyone here know what tanks are made of and how baffled? Or anything else about this problem. ?? Thanks all. George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #1674 by C. William Eilers, Jr
Replied by C. William Eilers, Jr on topic Sludge in Fuel Tanks clogging filters Brewer12.8
I have had a problem with my port tank and neither of the other 2 tanks,which I attributed to dirty fuel and have solved it a few times but changing filters. Finally last fall I polished all the fuel in the port tank and it was all clean with no sludge. I now think I have attributed the problem to something else. I think that the tank vent line was clogged by being filled with fuel at a low point when the boat heeled and could not vent the tank as fuel was being emptied. I think that a vacuum was being created in the tank after a certain amount of fuel was used up and this caused the lack of fuel symptom which I thought was a clogged filter. I have deduced this because I have installed a tank tender for my fuel gauges and this fuel gauge works on atmospheric pressure sensing the level of the fuel in the tank. I was getting false readings in the port tank which were corrected when I opened the fill cap. I will further try to prove this point next summer.

More
6 years 5 months ago #1680 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Sludge in Fuel Tanks clogging filters Brewer12.8
Dear Bill, I have a suggestion that might clear the vent line to tank. Take a shop vac -a 2 gallon one will do-- reverse the hoses so it blows instead of sucking--- place it around vent fitting outside of hull --- start shop vac and it shoud push any fuel stuck in a low place in vent line back to tank.

More
6 years 5 months ago #1683 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Sludge in Fuel Tanks clogging filters Brewer12.8
Interesting idea. You may want to open the fuel fill cap first to allow the pressure / air flow an escape.

You have probably checked that the screens on the vent cap are clear?

Scott

More
6 years 5 months ago #1684 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Sludge in Fuel Tanks clogging filters Brewer12.8
Yes I will -- On another type boat I had the copper bug screens at the hull vent fitting corroded shut--- I enlarged them with a ice pick--solved that problema....

More
6 years 5 months ago #1685 by C. William Eilers, Jr
Replied by C. William Eilers, Jr on topic Sludge in Fuel Tanks clogging filters Brewer12.8
The problem seems to be caused by the vent line filling from a full tank when the boat heels to port. There must be a low point in the vent line which does not drain back into the tank. I have installed a 3 way valve in the vent line just before it exits through the hull. This is visible in the starboard cubby in the aft bunk. I can clear the line by switching the valve and blowing through the line with the tank fill open. This is particularly helpful before filling the tank because without a clear vent line the tank will not fill without considerable difficulty.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds