Fixed window replacement on a Whitby 42

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3213 by Robert Horn
Fixed window replacement on a Whitby 42 was created by Robert Horn
Has anyone replaced the fixed windows on their 42? Ours are badly crazed. Wondering if I need to remove the inside frame, the outside frame or both.

Thanks,

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3216 by Debi Shaimas
Replied by Debi Shaimas on topic Fixed window replacement on a Whitby 42
You will need to remove both frames so that you can totally clean out the old caulk. Suggest you make a note of each frame’s position (inside, outside, port, stbd, up, down) so that they go back in as easily as possible.
I checked my notes and have these specs:
4 pieces 9mm thick (3/8”)
22 3/4” x 6 1/4” each with 3/4” radius corners (your specs might be slightly different)
Our four pieces, from TAP Plastics cost us about $90 in 2016.
Use Dow Corning 795 to rebed them.

When rebedding, don’t worry too much about the caulk oozing out. Let it sit for a day and then go back with a razor blade the next and trim it out. A little tedious but looks great in the end.

So nice to have fixed ports you can see out of!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Horn

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3219 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Fixed window replacement on a Whitby 42
Debi's comments are spot on. Replacing with fixed 'glass' should be an easy and inexpensive repair.

We chose a different tack and it has turned out to be one of our favorite upgrades on Joie de Vivre. We replaced the old fixed ports with opening ports from Newfound Metals. It is a bunch more work and boat load more money, but the increase in ventilation below is amazing. Especially above the galley where the cook needs it most.

A previous owner had already replaced all of our smaller ports with NFM so it was a bonus that the new opening ports would be a better match. The replacements for the smaller ports are 5"x12", but for the fixed ports we went with 6"x20" using 2 on each side.

The openings in the cabin needed to be altered to accommodate the new ports. They were enlarged slightly, top to bottom, and the mullions between the ports were widened.

newfoundmetals.com/product/rectangular-ss-portlight/

Scott
Attachments:

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3220 by Robert Horn
Replied by Robert Horn on topic Fixed window replacement on a Whitby 42
Looks really good. Too much work at the moment, too many other projects. Time being I'll just do a quicky and replace the existing windows. We used the NFM ports on our last boat, around 2000, and after a year or two the chrome plate started to peel. Hopefully they have improved their process since then.

Bob

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3222 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Fixed window replacement on a Whitby 42
Thanks. I highly recommend the stainless ones. We did the big ports in 2011 and the smaller ports are at least 10 years older than that. All are in great shape.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3223 by Debi Shaimas
What an awesome idea to replace the fixed ports with opening ones — particularly in the galley. So that has been added to my “in the future” list (on my private list, not the one I share with my first mate as that causes angst). We replaced the opening ports with NFM TRI-Matrix Ports about 8 years ago and they are great.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3225 by Robert Horn
At the time we did ours, all they had were the chrome ones. We had an Irwin 41 flush deck and all the ports were in the hull. With the ports only screwed into the inner liner I was concerned about getting into some serious weather and went with the NFM ones because they are through bolted. I was really glad when crossing the Mona Passage, in less than ideal conditions, because the boat took a real pounding.
Might consider then again some time down the road, too many other projects at the moment.

More
2 months 4 days ago #3293 by Robert Horn
What type of material did you use? Looks like a project ready to come up.
Thanks,
Bob

More
2 months 3 days ago #3295 by Debi Shaimas
We went to Tap plastics. Used Polycarbonate UV2.

www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut...carbonate_sheets/516

Debi
Serenity, #110

More
2 months 3 days ago #3296 by Robert Horn
I looked at their site but they don't list a 3/8 thickness. There is a glass shop near by that we have used before to replace hatch lenses, I'll check them out after I remove one of the windows.
Thanks,
Bob

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds