Brewer 44 engine removal

More
4 years 1 month ago #2374 by Francisco Garuti
Brewer 44 engine removal was created by Francisco Garuti
Anyone can share some light and details intro removing the engine on a Brewer 44? Do I have to remove the cockpit sole? How difficult is that? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #2375 by Edward Watson
Replied by Edward Watson on topic Brewer 44 engine removal
Fairly easy. Take the pedestal off.
Make sure to mark all wires as you disconnect them.
The deck screws come out next and the deck is just sealed with foam tape, it pops loose easily.
Take your time to check the steering cable turn blocks and fittings if you have them.
It is a great time to clean and paint the engine room, replace hoses and wiring. A lot of boats have 'loose pedestal' problems, rot in the deck or just over worked bolts. This is also a good time to service the thru-hulls that are otherwise hard to get to.

Once the cockpit deck is up, you can pick the engine out with the main boom, and replace it the same way. Depending on how much 'other stuff' is in the way, you may be able to leave the trans on the engine.
Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Francisco Garuti

More
4 years 1 month ago #2376 by C. William Eilers, Jr
Replied by C. William Eilers, Jr on topic Brewer 44 engine removal
My Perkins with about 5200 hours was replaced last summer with a Yanmar. Work was done by Portland Yacht Services in Maine. The cockpit sole was removed with the pedestal attached. My Brewer 12.8 has Edson Pull -Pull steering which was disconnected from the pedestal by removing the wheel shaft from the pedestal. Job went smoothly and they did a great job but it was expensive. While the Perkins was removed I also had the genset serviced, engine room cleaned and painted and many hoses and wires replaced and rerouted. The new engine came with an instrument panel so most of the wires in the pedestal were therefore replaced. New engine is turbo with lots of electronics. Gone are the days of working on a simple engine myself other than simple maintenance. Good part is most any yard in the world can work on Yanmars and parts are readily available. Good luck. Bill Eilers
Blue Prince. #247

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #2378 by Francisco Garuti
Replied by Francisco Garuti on topic Brewer 44 engine removal
Snoozer, I guess Im getting ahead of myself, but what do I need in terms of sealant when I put everything back together? Is there some specific stuff I need to consider? I have learned the hard way that the re-assembly is where the problems begin, never the disassembly :p :p

Bill Im trying to avoid the re-power for many reasons, one is money and two is I feel I will be well served by the reliability of the original engine. So I think I will be going for a rebuild. I just would like to take the opportunity as you say to clean up the engine room which looks like it needs some love.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Francisco Garuti.

More
4 years 1 month ago #2379 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Brewer 44 engine removal
This is a W42 but you will get the idea.

As for the sealant, I used Taco gasket seal but I think it's likely to get too compressed. I would now consider a wide bead on butyl tape. The next guy may need to apply a little more force to get the lid off, but it will wor.

Gerry
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #2380 by Edward Watson
Replied by Edward Watson on topic Brewer 44 engine removal
I used the same sort of foam tape that you would use when installing a pick-up truck bed cover (cap). The deck came up without much swearing.
That is what appeared to have been used to seal it first. I did made sure the edges were smooth.
It has been fifteen years and it has not leaked. I have had the cockpit drains clogged several times and a foot of water over the deck.
New Hope #306

More
4 years 1 month ago #2381 by Martin Gaffney
Replied by Martin Gaffney on topic Brewer 44 engine removal
I replaced the engine in my Brewer 12.8 a while ago and opted to do it through the companionway hatch. I stripped the engine as much as possible and went at it ! Two husky guys, some rope some two by four and in 3 days it ran again.Helped perhaps by the fact that it is a Lehman Peugeot 61 which is lighter than the Ford. Replaced the engine mounts and some hoses too.
Snoozer makes a good point about the wheel console flooring rotting out. Mine needed reinforcing but no need to remove it to make a good solid job

More
4 years 1 month ago #2382 by Melissa S White
Replied by Melissa S White on topic Brewer 44 engine removal
We replaced the engine in our Olympic Adventure 47 and removed the cockpit floor to do so. We used butyl tape bought from Compass Marine to seal the cockpit floor when we replaced it. That was almost 2 years ago. No leaks.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds